Get Started with BIMx
How to use BIMx for Clients
- Browse the uploaded BIMx models in a chronological order
- Filter uploaded models by educational or professional types
- Search uploaded models using a combination of key-words
- Find uploaded models of specific users, architects or clients
- Download the selected BIMx model to view on any device*
- Share the models of you choice via email with your friends
How to use BIMx for Architects
BIMx for iPad Frequently Asked Questions
What does the ArchiCAD 15 hotfix change in the BIMx functionality?
The Hotfix #1 contains basically 3 different types of changes:
- It contains the standard ArchiCAD 15 bugfixes to address mission critical problems of ArchiCAD 15 found in the last 2 months
- It also contains all the changes necessary to enable the new “sharing” functionality of the desktop BIMx application including all the user interface and functional changes necessary in the share/upload workflow
- In addition to the functional changes it also “triggers” the free BIMx TRIAL period for all ArchiCAD 15 BIMx licenses. The TRIAL period will end with a timebomb on October 31 in 2011
What are the different options available to create BIMx models for clients?
The different ways of creating BIMx models are available at different levels for the different BIMx license types:
- ArchiCAD 15 Commercial BIMx license
- Save “self-running” BIMx models in ArchiCAD 15 compatible fileformat without limitation
- Publish “static” BIMx models to the BIMx community site that can be viewed with the different viewers (iOS/Mac/Win) according to the terms and conditions of the BIMx community site
- ArchiCAD 15 TRIAL BIMx license
- 100% same functionality as the full commercial license between September 20 and October 31 in 2011
- Save “trial” BIMx models that can only be opened/viewed on the same computer they were created between November 1 in 2011 and June 30 in 2012
- ArchiCAD 15 EDU BIMx license
- Save “self-running” BIMx models in ArchiCAD 15 compatible fileformat with EDU watermark till the expiration of the EDU license
- Publish “static” BIMx models to the BIMx community site that can be viewed with the different viewers (iOS/Mac/Win) with EDU watermark till the expiration of the EDU license but according to the terms and conditions of the BIMx community site
What are the different ways to deliver BIMx models to clients?
- “Self-running” BIMx models (Mac/Win)
- Sending as email attachment
- Uploading to an FTP site
- File sharing services (such as Dropbox)
- Physical data storage device (USB stick)
- Models published to the BIMx community site
- Direct site access from the BIMx App for the iPad/iPhone
- Download BIMx model and desktop viewer (Mac/Win)
Who can access BIMx models on the Facebook community site?
The BIMx community site though integrated into Facebook the community site is freely accessible to non-Facebook users as well. The BIMx community site will be accessible in any of the following ways:
- Through the ArchiCAD fan page on Facebook
- Through direct page URLs: gsBIMx.com and m.gsBIMx.com
- Through direct links to uploaded BIMx models’ download page
- Through built-in links from mobile devices (iPad/iPhone)
- Through comments/likes/shares on Facebook users “Walls”
Users can search/browse and download BIMx models from the site without registration or log-in. Social functions such as comments/likes/shares require Facebook login.
Who can upload BIMx models onto the Facebook community site?
At the current moment BIMx models can only be uploaded (published) directly from the BIMx desktop application (no upload through the web browser). The first time BIMx users want to publish their models to the community site they will be required to register. At subsequent uploads the site authentication will run automatically via a personal license key that will be issued upon registration and needs to need to be entered in BIMx only once (for the first).
Logon to the community site is only required to manage one’s uploaded models (edit model details/delete models etc.).
What are the different ways for people to register to the community site?
Registration requires an ArchiCAD/BIMx installation and can be initiated in the following ways:
- Register from scratch
- Login (register) with Google or Facebook ID
- Login with existing MyArchiCAD.com username/password
This way we provide very easy access (via existing Google/Facebook accounts) and also provide automatic access for users on MyArchiCAD.com. This also means however that both BIMx users and Google/Facebook users have “fast-track” registration and access to MyArchiCAD as well.
In what is BIMx for the iPad uniquely different from other 3D Viewers?
Most 3D model viewers for the iPad/iPhone are generic purpose viewers. This means their navigation functionalities are basically limited to 3D orbit, pan and zoom. BIMx has a lot more to offer than that (selective list):
- It is a full “natural” building explorer environment - with gravity and egress recognition just to mention examples – that is with all the necessary UI features that make or break great user experience
- It has sophisticated visual filters (views) to provide a high quality architectural presentation environment such as stereoscopic view etc.
- It is integrated with an ecosystem of the desktop application and the online model sharing community
Is there any “cloud” component involved in the workflow?
The BIMx community portal completely runs on Microsoft’s Azure® cloud platform.